If your Kimberly rental property is a bit older, you may be anxious about attracting quality tenants. This is particularly the case if you have newer rental homes in your local market. It can be difficult for an older home to compete against newer ones, mostly if it comes up short on some updates. Providentially, there are numerous things that you can do to help your older rental home look more modern and maintain that strong appeal. In reality, with a little time and some money, you can give your rental home a modern makeover that will not only support you attract tenants but may boost your property values, too. Here’s our list of best approaches to make your older rental home look modern.
- Go Bright. The modern look and feel are all about light and space. To help your rental’s interiors feel livelier, use light, neutral paint for walls and trim with bursts of bright color as accents. Just don’t aim for too many colors at once – a simple accent door or wall is typically all you’ll need.
- Open It Up. If your older rental home has a lot of walls dividing the main living areas, think about pulling one or more of them down. Modern home design is more open-concept, with big living areas that flow from space to space. Simply removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room, as an illustration, can make your rental feel more open and modern inside.
- Upgrade Cabinet Hardware and Faucets. In the kitchen, a simple upgrade that can help modernize the room is to replace cabinet hardware and the faucet. Clean, bright lines in your cabinet handles and faucets can make a massive difference in the look and feel of the kitchen.
- Remove Popcorn Ceilings. If your rental property seems to have a popcorn ceiling installed inside, it is advisable to remove it. Popcorn ceilings were popular at one time, but now they instantly date a rental home’s interior. Go for a smooth neutral finish on your rental’s ceilings instead.
- Opt-Out of Carpet. Another ideal approach to modernize an older rental is to replace carpeted floors with hard surface flooring, like tough wood-look vinyl planks. Vinyl planks are less expensive than carpet and will surely last much longer than carpet, anyway. In addition, it will help your rental’s interior rooms feel more open and airy, which is the essence of modern design.
- Upgrade Outlets and Lights. Ugly or old-fashioned electrical outlets and light fixtures can make your rental look unappealing. By simply replacing both with new, modern styles, you can enhance the contemporary look of any room.
- New Doors. Your rental doors are also a great alternative for modernizing your property. Your rental’s front door, in particular, is a significant component of your property’s curb appeal. Start replacing an old or outdated door with something modern and attractive, particularly in a bright, complementary color. A lovely door can provide the welcoming touch your rental needs to stay competitive in today’s rental market.
- Smart Locks, Thermostat, and More. Ultimately, today’s modern rental homes include a range of smart upgrades, such as smart locks, smart thermostats, and so on. These devices can be controlled from a smartphone and help boost the security and efficiency of any property. Your tenants will appreciate the convenience and savings, and you will enjoy the boost in rental rates and property values you’ll likely receive as a result.
Would you like to know more about fast and affordable ways to update your rental property? Give Real Property Management Magic Valley a call! Our Kimberly property management team helps rental property owners like you create and maintain profitable rental homes. Contact us online for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.